Saturday, July 7, 2007

The first of many posts

Our local coffee shop, the heart of our little village town, has just been offered to me for a really reasonable rate. I considered purchasing it the last time it came up for sale but they were asking far too much and so I wrote it off without much hesitation. Now, though, it seems like a good deal. It would mean leaving my secure but totally unsatisfying job that is forty five minutes from home in an incredibly elite and obnoxious tourist town to work only ten minutes from home in the company of my familiars.
But do I want to be a business owner?
The truth is.............
I'm really kind of lazy. I like the fact that I come into work here and have so little to do. I have time to blog and read and visit with friends and go to the this town's coffee shop and slack off. I love feeling like I can get away with something. Anything. It's the really juvenile part of me that sneaks out in weird little ways. If I ran this coffee shop, I'd have to learn how to work Quickbooks, how to do inventory and ordering. I do that at this current job but at a much smaller rate. I take care of payroll and hiring (and firing) here but it doesn't belong to me. I can walk away. I have no real financial investment.
I love picturing myself behind the counter at the coffee shop. I love thinking of how I'd redo the counter and repaint some of the walls. There's a whole back room that is 3/4 converted into a kitchen space. I'd open for breakfast and serve crepes.
So, there's alot in the mix right now.

No comments: