Thursday, July 19, 2007

Mocha madness

Behind the counter at the shop I have a three-bay sink. The far left sink, per health department requirement, is constantly full of hot water and one capful of bleach. After dishes are soaped and rinsed they sit in the bleach water for a few minutes until they reach the drain board to dry. We keep test strips in the drawer so that the health inspector can check the ph of the water should he grace us one day with a surprise visit.

Today was a busy day. We had a strong lunch crowd, ran out of chicken curry salad and never pulled a second hummus to thaw for the Veggie Delite. I had a chronic condition from 11am – 4pm of just completely spacing people’s bagels in the toaster, burning them, or just forgetting the order existed at all. I spilled one woman’s latte on the counter, gave full test coffee to those who asked for decaf, had to repeat every order else it move from one ear to the other without even having the luxury of entering the brain in the first place.

I learned today that I should not drink caffeine while working. And if I do, I should stick with the mellow octane like Yerba Mate or Chai latte.

The past two days I’ve had the great company of a hometown friend sitting at my counter keeping me company, meeting the locals and keeping Ella entertained. I promised him, before he came, that I’d make him one of my meanest cafĂ© mochas. Tom explained yesterday that at his favorite coffee shop in Easton, Maryland they make what they call a Euro Mocha…. which mixes powered cocoa instead of chocolate syrup with the espresso shot. It makes for a mocha that’s not quite as sweet….I see the appeal.

So today we decided to have ourselves a little experimental mocha party. And Meg wasn’t very smart about her caffeine intake at the party…. Meg went a little overboard...hence all the fuck-ups (sorry Mom… I’ve been trying not to swear but the day really was full of fuck-ups).

So long about 5pm, as I’m wrapping up the baked goods, losing my mind, measuring out tomorrow morning’s beans, and finishing up the dirty dishes, I decide to drain the lukewarm bleach water and refill it with hot water. A few customers come in and I make their maple lattes and shots of espresso and answer the thousandth question for Ella (“No, you cannot have the fifty dollar teddy bear down at the book store. No, you cannot have another hot chocolate. I don’t care if your birthday is tomorrow. Right now is today. No, you cannot walk to the park all by yourself.”) …. And in the heat of all of that I totally space the bleachy, hot, health code sink that has filled up and proceeded to overflow onto the counter and flood the turntable cupboard and floor.

No more caffeine at work.
No more caffeine at work.
No more caffeine at work.

Today's Playlist
Gillian Welch ~ Hell Among the Yearlings
Music from the Tea Lands ~ Putumayo
Just Listen to It
(one of Jim's famous annual complilations... a fine addition to the shop's playlist!)
Bob Marley's last show ever ~ Pittsburg 3 River Stadium
G-Love ~ Hustle
Greg Brown ~ Dream Cafe
and for BJ ... Ray Lamontagne:)
the phenomenal Ruthie Foster
Feist
Ali Farka

3 comments:

Princess Banter said...

Hahaha -- sounds like a lot of fun working in your lair ;) I've recently discovered that my heartburns are sourced from coffee and I'm still seething over this realization. I don't know how one can give up coffee just like that!

Unknown said...

Sounds like your place is coming to life. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

This is so clearly a book in the making....