Friday, July 13, 2007

More Gratitude

I walked into work yesterday and the bookkeeper was sitting at the bar with her laptop open and a big, fat stack of invoices spread on the counter. She comes in twice a month to do payroll, pay bills and file things into Quickbooks. She has an amazing energy to her, shoots straight from the hip and every time I leave a conversation with her, I'm left reeling and terrified about this project I have looming before me. About five minutes into dialogue with her my eyes start to lose their focus and I find myself at least three sentences behind where she is... trying to catch up. There's just that much to do. And she knows so much!

After she left and my lists were made and stacked into the 'to do' pile, I had to work really hard on not being overwhelmed with that list. It took me the better part of the afternoon to center and focus on just being where I was, while I was there. Behind the counter.

Mid afternoon rolled around and things quieted down in here. The sun was finally shining outside and for the first time in three days a nice breeze was coming in through the old screened windows.

A great, conversational guy from Bakersfield named Harry came in on his way home from Maine. He sat at the counter eating a panini and drinking some iced black tea and told me about his big fight to keep Walmart out of St. Albans. Yeah, Harry.

Around four o'clock I pulled out my bag and unloaded my folders, lists, phone numbers and financial plan. On three loose sheets of white paper were my notes from the past two days and so I picked up the telephone to call Sarah, who owns the beautiful book store three doors down.

I asked if she had any day planners and could she could please put one aside so that I could run down to buy it before she closes. I joked that if I didn't get one today everything was going to fall apart.

Two and a half minutes later, Sarah comes walking into the coffee shop, day planner in hand, and passes it over the counter to me.

"It's yours. Someday I'll need a sandwich." And then she turns to walk out.

I'm still just totally awestruck by the kindness of people. I hope that someday she needs a hell of a lot more than a sandwich.

After I finished closing up shop, my big plan was to turn the music up loud, put on some old clothes and clean the bejesus out of this place. As I was finishing counting out the drawer and writing out the day's deposit, another good friend (God Bless You, Annette) came in... long yellow, rubber gloves in hand... and offered me one hour of her time. That was at 7pm. At 10pm, all the woodwork and furniture in the big sitting room sparkling clean, our heads full of Roots Manuva, she threw in the towel. Thank you, thank you, Annette.... and a special thank you for your sound advice on the potential disaster of painting my coffee room split pea green. I will heed that advice. Much as it might pain me.

What a day of absolute giving. I feel so damn loved.....
And...my windows are clean, to boot.

Yesterday's Playlist
Arabic Groove ~ Putumaya
Brazilian Groove ~ Putumaya
Flaming Lips... Recently, a good friend downloaded three and a half days worth of music onto our computer. There's still easily about two and a half days of music that I've never even heard of, let alone listened to yet.
I put two Flaming Lips albums onto my Ipod and was eager to check it out.
Of all the artists I've played here at the shop, this band drew the most response.
What great energy the music has. Keeper.

I think the Flaming Lips actually carried me through the better part of the day.

The only other album I remember playing was the soundtrack to the
Jack Johnson and Malloy brother's surf flick ~ Broke Down Melody. Great movie. Amazing Soundtrack.

And then it was Sizzla and Roots Manuva for Annette... who requested good reggae to clean to.
And clean she did.









3 comments:

Unknown said...

It seems like when you have the courage to go for your dreams and be your authentic soul the world opens up to you and people recognize that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Meg,

Having trouble posting so I'm checking it out. If it posts, I'll be right back with another.

Anonymous said...

Here's my response to Benjamin Moore (which wouldn't post on that page):

I am so ready, Meg. But then there's the whole concept in picking colors around the mood you want to create - yellows and golds stimulate conversation, reds, the appetite, etc..... This is complicated stuff!

Here's my idea of how to make it fun (we'll start after the first bottle of wine). We pick the colors you like. The we RENAME them so you can have the pleasure (although no one is going to pay you, yet anyway) and you can create a great story, or a theme or some kind of buzz.
Sound like a plan? My calendar is out and ready.

And to today's:

Ain't life grand? As much as Annette does not wish to be identified by her cosmic cleaning abilities, there is NO ONE I would rather have next to me when taking on a project like this. She practically makes it FUN. You are sure are a giver, Annette. And a keeper. And hell, all I offered to do was drink wine and play with colors! :-)