Thursday, August 23, 2007

Bookkeeping

I just spent five hours with my pseudo-bookkeeper. She managed the previous owner's books and has signed on to help me get started doing my own payroll. We started at noon, sat for three hours plugged into the computer and re-arranging things as they should be according to this business. We went into Quickbooks Payroll and plugged in the employee's information and all the necessary tax stuff....

Then I had to jump behind the counter to relieve the morning staff so we tackled plugging in the nightly deposits, broken down between actual sales and Rooms and Meals taxes, in between dealing with customers. If I wasn't totally and absolutely overwhelmed already, I certainly am now.

I keep reminding myself that it'll be second nature eventually. I'm just taking a long, slow and arduous business class, that's all.

No comments: