Thursday, August 9, 2007

Waiting for the Pot to Boil

Signed a bunch of bank notes this morning to seal the loan for the shop. There's a three day "right of recission"... which basically gives me three days to change my mind and opt out. After the three day period, I'll be given the funds and I can write a check to the current owner and call the place mine. We're meeting Tuesday night to count up the cost of inventory and pass the baton.

I haven't worked at the shop since Sunday afternoon. I was in there anyway most of the day on Monday and then again on Tuesday, using the computer, shooting back and forth from the shop to the village library, trying to print things and then find someone to fax it for me. I woke up yesterday morning, knowing that it wouldn't be a bad idea to go in and hog out the unfinished kitchen space... maybe scrub the sticky floor, start getting things ready.... but the bed was so comfortable and Ella had crawled into it somewhere around dawn and she was so warm and cuddly and the final Harry Potter book was lying right there on the bedside table.....so, I stayed in bed till nearly 11am, soaking in the quiet and the rain and the down comforter. We had pancakes and hot chocolate for breakfast and proceeded to spend the rest of the day listening to loud music and cleaning the shit of our neglected house....taking long, indulgent breaks throughout.

I spent the later part of the day on the phone with DHL who, for some reason, has been sitting on my computer and printers in their Williston warehouse for six days. Dad always says that the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" so I made a bunch of noise and they promised that it would all be delivered by 5pm today.

So, after the loan was processed this morning, I came home to enjoy my last bit of time with little to do. I made some jasmine green tea in a big, glass mason jar and sat at my kitchen table watching the leaves of the tea unfold, listening to even more new music and watching the cows outside eat grass and move about the pasture. A small yellow finch was gliding from the old, naked apple tree into the prickly bush of hawthorne in the barnyard... coming out unscathed every time... I'll never understand how they do it....how they weave through thousands of two inch long thorns... like a flea in a pincushion...it makes me think of Prince Phillip scaling the castle wall, cutting through hundreds of years of brambles with his Sword of Truth. But I sat and watched, unmoving, cows ruminating, bird flitting, and wondered when again I'll enjoy the luxury of stillness....

It got to be 3:30 and I started to wonder when the truck was going to be pulling up the driveway. It got to be 4:00 and I was getting irritated. I took Woody down the driveway to get the mail. On my way back up, I found Ella in an apple tree and we sat in the driveway looking at shoes in the Sierra Nevada Trading Post. It got to be 4:20 (4:22 to be exact) and I was growing skeptical. We danced a bit more in our clean kitchen to distract mom.....

The boxes came at 4:53pm. Seven minutes to spare.
I buy Quickbooks Pro tomorrow on my Costco run and hope for the best. Here goes.

No comments: