Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Wednesday Night Jitters

It's 9pm, the child is in bed and the barista is at the shop, has steamed up some chai and is now about to embark on the kitchen project. It's too bad it's not a clear night. I may end up outside again at 4am on a fleece blanket, wrapped in wool, warped with caffeine jitters. Maybe the stars will be out by that time..............

When the health inspector, a very humorless man with a very bad haircut, came in about a month ago, I scored a 96 out of a possible 100. I wish I did that well in high school.

I lost a point for the spoons being spoon side up at the creamer station (which I know about but was training the new girl that day and forgot to specify when she took the clean batch out... my bad). I lost a point for a rip in the screen door we don't use and for some gaps in the ceiling in the back kitchen space around the heating vents where mice can squeeze through if they so chose.

Not too bad, really, considering. I had no idea what to expect. I just received my official License to Operate in the mail today.

I learned when he was here that all unfinished wood in a kitchen has to be painted over or sealed in some way. So I went out today and bought some deep red paint. I was hoping for a funky shade of purple or a funky mauve but the local hardware type place, where Bill has an account and I could get his discount, seemed to be out of whatever base they needed to make every single color I asked for. The deep red color was a stock color, which meant they have it in house, already mixed, and so I ended up with that. I eventually just started feeling bad for the employee, who was feeling bad for having to keep saying he couldn't make this or that shade. Maybe I'll just accent the red with another color down the road... from another, more equipped paint place. I figure that the kitchen space won't be seen by customers so I can get as crazy as I want to with it.

I came in an hour ago and so far haven't been able to leave the computer except to make my chai. It was hard enough getting into the car to come into town. Took a look at some of the wedding pics (thanks Jim) and checked email.

Now, though, I need to roll up my sleeves and get dirty. In about twenty minutes my every nerve ending will be pulsing with a blend of Kashmiri and Tra Quai chai tea..... I need to utilize that time well.

No comments: