Thursday, February 7, 2008

When we were kids, there would usually be hell to pay if my brother found his 45's in my room. Later, there would be hell to pay if I snaked his cassettes and then, CD's. On the rare occasions that I hear that song Seasons in the Sun or C'mon Eileen or Safety Dance, I think of that plastic record player I had just gotten for my bedroom and waiting until Jim left the house so I could raid his collection. I would memorize exactly from where in the stack I had pulled the records so that I could put them back in that same spot. Most of the music I've discovered in this world has come through his channel. His taste in music has evolved through the years, which means that mine inevitably improved as well. And eventually, he became a little more comfortable with me handling his stuff.

In mid-December, I drove home from Pennsylvania with a trunk full of his framed photographs... photographs he'd hung in a show called Picture Stories. The photos are a collection of the pictures he's taken over the years... ranging from the documentary work he'd done in the 90's on the coal mining industry to pictures he's taken in his travels all over the world. Mexico, Hungary, Africa. Hollywood. The ghettos of Phillie.

I remember being out in Western Pennsylvania with him in 2001 a few days before the Picture Stories show. I remember helping him with the last minute details and transportation of the pics to where they would be hung. I remember the absolute detail put into their hanging.

So, two weeks ago, when I carried the framed pics down from the basement and into the shop and when I began to wire the frames for hanging... it struck me how much he must trust me. I've seen him in the darkroom, printing and reprinting, trying to perfect a photo that, to me, looked already perfect. And here they were in my hands. In my care.

I felt honored. And grateful. And lucky.


I've taken some pics of them hanging on my wall. I promised. As soon as he's added these pics and more to his current wedding photography website, www.jimharrisstudios.com, I'll put up the link again. Stay tuned.


Thanks Jim.

No comments: