Monday, April 21, 2008

SIGNS OF SPRING



The snow melts to reveal last fall’s forgotten relics scattered around the yard….a winter’s worth of decomposing dog shit is included in those relics.

It’s above forty for more than three days in a row.

Then it drops back down to twelve and dumps another two inches of snow on us.

It’s not dark when I open the shop anymore.

It’s not dark when I close the shop anymore.

We drive around with the windows down and the heat blasting.

Geese.

Once a day I’m in the yard with a bucket of grain in one hand and a harness in the other, herding three heiffers and two pain in the ass bulls back into their pen because the winter reeked havoc on the electric fencing and it doesn’t buzz anymore.

The smell of cow shit makes you smile.

The Christmas decorations finally get taken upstairs to the storage room.

A pair of mud boots are kept, indefinitely, on the floor of the passenger seat in the car.

The idea of root vegetables make you cringe.

Ella doesn’t argue when I ask her to take the compost out. Instead, she goes upstairs, dresses up like Morgaine from Mists of Avalon and disappears for an hour. Loud singing can be heard through the window screens…. that are open… because it’s spring now.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Massagem, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://massagem-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.