Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Camelback meets Hogback

I got one of those groovy Camelback hydration packs for my birthday. It came on the heels of getting a tune up and new tires put on my bike for road riding. I traded two pounds of coffee with my shop neighbor for the work.

I've been keeping the bike in the kitchen of the shop and taking it to the bank, grocery store and post office when need be. The goal has been to take it out for longer jaunts in the morning before I go behind the counter for the day. I haven't had time for that yet, but.....

Last night I filled up the water bag in the pack and put ID in the front pocket (because I promised my mom I would) and I rode the bike home.

I never noticed:

  • The little groundhog burrow by the marsh just outside of Johnson. It's occupant was awfully cute.
  • All the garbage off the banks by the river.
  • That Hogback Road looks so beautiful when the sun is on the horizon. Well, maybe I have noticed that before but.....
  • How badly one's bottom aches from distance riding.
  • That the run down slum looking apartment building just after the village of Waterville has the most spectacular, green backyard... all lined with stonework and an incredible, well laid out horseshoe set up.... where an old man resident was diligently at work mastering the sport.
  • How many pick up trucks honk and whistle at bike riders.... girl bike riders, I guess.
  • How much the wind makes my ears ache when riding downhill.
  • How incredibly steep that last stretch is on Lapland Road. Like, shoot me now steep.
So, we woke up this morning and I geared back up, got Ella on the schoolbus at the end of the driveway and followed it down the hill on my bike for the trek back down Hogback to Route 15 and into Johnson. Yay me.

Notes from the morning ride:

  • Wear gloves for morning riding. My hands ached for an hour following the journey.... no matter how hot the mug of tea I was holding. I didn't realize this until I got the bottom of Lapland Road and there was no way I was going back up it to find my gloves.
  • Wear fleece when it's chilly out. A velour hoodie doesn't cut it.
  • Wearing a hat helps my ears to not hurt in the wind.
  • Don't let the pack sit overnight precariously else the water drips out slowly, leaves the pack wet and your back is freezing in the morning wind. No fun.
  • There's way more wildlife in the morning. Turkeys, ducks, geese....
  • There are more friends that pass and honk in the morning than there are pick up truck drivers.
  • Like most things, the ride is always quicker and smoother the very first time it's done.

No comments: