Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day Off

showed up at 9am.
maybe would have come earlier had i not promised my neglected dog a morning walk.

went right to deli slicing. ham, turkey, cheddar.
cleaned up that god awful smelly mess. cleaned the blade without taking off my finger (something that still impresses me every time).

ate a quick blueberry muffin and drank an iced coffee (way too fast) at the bar with dusty.

dove into the chest freezer to organize and get ready for the food order arriving shortly.

spread out the laptop and invoices and envelopes on the coffee table.

food order arrives.

unload everything to it's appropriate place, grateful for having already organized the chest freezer... seeing as how we have an exciting new delivery of frozen strawberries, blueberries and vanilla ice cream for fun summer smoothies and frozen coffee drinks. still don't know how we're going to organize it in the long run but for now everything is maintaining it's frozen status.

back to bookkeeping. except first i have to overview the entire month of may to remedy whatever happened somewhere to make my numbers off.... still haven't figured it out. then i enter bills. enter receipts. figure out how to remedy my weird account status with the vermont department of labor. call my sometimes-bookkeeper. write checks. do payroll. spend time trying to figure out how to enter my new employee into the system. call bookkeeper back.

in the meantime, this cute little three year old girl who is in the shop with her dad, continues to strip the couches of their pillows and bring them to me, like offerings, along with all of the stuffed animals from the kiddie basket by the kiddie bookshelf. her dad, in the meantime, is in some cyber space frontier game... so now, i'm surrounded by paper and laptop and checkbook and plush.

i remain here for two hours.

annette comes. we walk up gould hill, down clay hill, across school street and down 100c. good conversation. good circulation. good break.

finally connect with the bookkeeper. enter the new employee. get online with vermont department of labor to create a new hire account, enter the new hire and then create a UI quarterly tax report account. i did all of this but don't be fooled. i have no idea what any of it means, how i got there, how to get back or when i need to do it again.

now i'm going to get dusty, see if he'll give me my promised sneak preview of the website he's making me and see if i can't convince him to show me how to upload my logo onto discountmugs.com so that i can order my to-go mugs.... which has been one of my many goals to accomplish during this two week spell of having no kid around. make my menu, cost my menu, order mugs, sleep.

4:30 pm.
when we close in a half hour, i'll be busting out one of those "compressed gas duster" thingies to blow out the air compressor on my deli cooler because it's been leaking obscene amounts of water for the past two weeks. if that doesn't work, then it looks like i'm in the market for a new deli cooler.

after that.....

maybe i'll go home and drink some wine on my rowboat.

it is my day off, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i hear they have cheap deli coolers on ebay. cheap shipping from england too.....