Monday, July 30, 2007

After a Long Day

We should have been closing the deal the day after tomorrow but I'm still waiting to hear back as to whether or not the business plan is enough of a go to actually take to the bank. Hopefully that word'll come tomorrow. I've got calls out to the bank, to restaurant equipment joints, reps from food companies.... always calls out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We had a new faucet installed a couple of days ago... one of those things that needed to happen before we transitioned ownership. A local guy who does odd jobs for the current owner is the one who ordered and installed the faucet. The day after it was put in, I came in to a note on the counter that we needed to keep the sink somewhat dry for a day or two while the caulk dried... and then to trim off the excess after that point.

So, today I drove to the local farm and garden to make copies of the key for our new employee and to buy myself a straight edge blade.

I've never caulked a sink, nor have I ever had to trim excess caulk after the job was done but after forty five minutes of scraping this shit from around the edge of a three bay sink I was able to confidently determine that this guy went absolutely ape-shit with that stuff. It wasn't a terrible job. Minus having to break to pour lemonade or iced coffee, it was rather meditative... almost a bit of a metaphor in itself... like taking a certain kind of stock in the value of scraping away all that goopy, unnecessary shit from around the edge of things. Oh, so many places to take that metaphor! Forty five minutes was about half the time that it took to finish the job.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ella had her friend Acadia at the shop today. They spent way too much money on penny candy and I was glad to shuffle them off to the riverside for the rest of the day. They came back in one- hour intervals to check in with me, dripping wet and hungry. They're both home now with Bill, building a fort over the expanse of Ella's room with all of the sheets from my linen closet and there they'll stay for the evening, finishing up their penny candy and watching movies. Life's tough when you're ten years old....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After driving the girls to the house and making them dinner, I got back in the car to come into Johnson again. As I was veering onto the north end of Hogback Road I got a call from Acadia's mom, who was veering onto the south end of Hogback Road. We met in the middle, sat on our cars in the setting sun and caught up for a bit. She's an amazing lady who practices reiki and has a small essential oil business on the side. After reciting my list of things to do and my unmet deadlines and my determination to come in here and clean and tie up some loose ends, she dives into her car and comes back out with what looks like a big CD book... except it's filled with about fifty different essential oil blends. Before our visit was over I was dowsed in a dozen oils, all for specific purpose, and I smelled like a queen. The lemon oil, dropped onto the center of my palm and rubbed in a counter-clockwise position three times, might just have been the most effective of them all. I don't know what medicinal purpose it has, exactly, or why the direction or number of times I rubbed it in will help me, but it smells sooo good.

So here I am, at the shop, writing a blog post instead of working, having just finished the first of my two ales... a new favorite called Wychwood... listening to the second cd mix i've ever made (see below for list of tunes it includes~thank you Shannon for your itunes playlist)

The window is open, no breeze, just the sound of random passing cars and trucks coming in through it's screen. Sun's gone down an hour ago and dusk is heavy like the humidity. My bags are sitting on the table beside me, waiting like my old farm dogs with needy eyes, wanting to be scratched and given some attention. Here goes......

Currently Playing
I ordered my very own, brand new laptop last week. A dell.... and it should
be delivered via FedEx sometime early this week... at which point
(after I come up for air after learning Quickbooks)
I can get set up with Itunes and download all the scratchy, near death cds I have.
In the meantime,
I've had the great experience of making mixes from other people's music collections.
This is the second in what I hope will be a long history of making mixes, compliments
of Dave and Shannon's Itunes collection.

Bittersweet ~ Big Head Todd.... totally cheesy, I know, but such a good song!
How many roads ~ a duet by Dylan and Joan Baez.... in their early years, before the tension.
Dirty Old Town ~ The Pogues.... gotta love Shane McGowen
Arkansas Traveler~ Garcia and Grisman
Some of my Favorite Things ~ by an artist I don't know... some killer female vocalist
"cashing in on the glory of my biggest mistakes...

to kiss until my lips are red....

these are some of my favorite things...."
Some random tune from the Bostones... thanks to David! I felt like I was at the Staircase
in Pittson all over again... seeing the Bostones for the third time
G-Love ~ Special Sauce... for my Ella
Some random tune by the Go-Go's.... for Dana, who never reads this blog, anyway.
In the Morning~ Nina Simone... I think it's clear by now what Meg's favorite song is?
Lay Lady Lay~ Dylan
Irene Goodnight ~Leadbelly... doing an awesome Guthrie tune
some duet by two dudes and the chorus goes something like:
"what's so funny about peace, love and understanding"
I don't remember putting it on there but it's not too bad
Unbroken Chain ~ quite possibly the best GD tune ever
Give up your light ~ Morcheeba
Video Killed the Radio Star
What I am ~ Edie Brickell





No comments: