Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Prom 08'


We decided last week to have a prom.
A Johnson prom.
It's taking place in the Waterville town hall but it's a Johnson prom.
Kind of like a redemption prom. A second-chance-to-have-a-good-time-at-your-prom-prom.
I mean, did you really have a good time at your prom? Was there some kind of adolescent drama that just made it suck? Did you really even like your date?
All that hype, all that prep, all that dressing up, having to go through the whole picture in front of the fireplace, pinning the flower thing....and then there's not even a bar once we get there?

So the whole thing kind of snowballed talking with Nick one morning. By lunch time the gala was clear as day and we had lists going, a suggestion box in the making and an array of theme ideas. We're renting a disco ball, selling tickets to pay for the band (uh, 80's of course), building one of those ridiculous backdrops for pictures, electing a king and queen for kicks, renting a bus to drive folks back to Johnson from Waterville at the end of the night.....

By the end of the day, we decided to start having people bring in their old prom pictures and Nick, who is way more tech savvy than I, will create a slide show we can show that night during the 80's band's set break.... after we've all had a few drinks and can have a sense of humor about big hair and mullets and taffita dresses.

All this being said, I now welcome whatever prom theme ideas you might have.

4 comments:

BarristerBill said...

Holy Sheet! Even though I concede that Clapton is a GOD among men, I can't listen to "Wonderful Tonight" without gagging and getting a little pissed off. If it comes on the radio, I point at the dashboard of my 1996 Toyota and yell "NO!". ahhhhh. For years I thought grabbing a handful of ass during a slow-dance = "gettin some". Yes, I'm a loser! LOL.

Have fun. I wish we could enjoy the experience with you guys. Take pictures, videos.... and have a wonderful night!

Jim Harris Studios said...

sonny and tubbs, backrubs, watermelon jolly rancher,
rick astly dancer, OP, jams and docksides, ray ban, dairy queen and car rides,
the 80's hurt me bad.
the 80's made me sad.
the 80's were not rad.
we are the world, thriller and bad.
the 80's made me sad.
the bangles,axel F
and phil collins.
the 80's made me mad.
semi-formal, leg warmer,
must-be-normal,ski trip school bus, tressel party keg bust,pump up the jam, big hair and Vans,
college lists,coca cola kitsch,
my prom dates a bitch
the 80's made me mad
the 80's made me sad

Jim Harris
Class of '87

The Lovin Cup Coffee Blog said...

BJ!
I actually went to half of my proms WITH you!! well, not actually WITH you, but you know....
come to think of it... we probably would have had alot more fun had we been eachother's dates.

Anonymous said...

i'm glad Jim left out the part about almost kicking my ass on the ski trip school bus!