Saturday, May 3, 2008

New Ink

Years of waitressing has provided me with the habit of sticking pens in my hair. I usually wear two little pigtail buns on each side of my head. Sometimes I find two or three on each side when the day is done. Sometimes I'll take out a single bun at the end of the night and five pens will fall to the floor.

Last night, before closing, I reached up to scratch an itch at the nape of my neck and felt a thick stickiness. Am I bleeding? It ran down my neck and into my hair. I pulled my hand down and my fingers were that unmistakable indigo blue of the ball point pen. I reached up and drew out the busted pen from behind my barrette.

The entire back of my neck and left side of my head were matted with ink.
I was able to use a rag and clean off my neck but it explained why some customers had been eying me strangely that afternoon. Last night I took a shower before sleep and watched the water run blue down the drain. My fingers are still stained and I woke with my shoulders stained blue, too.

Maybe it's a new look?

No comments: