Saturday, March 15, 2008

Three Dead Bodies

The compressor on my chest freezer died last week. Initially I was all kinds of pissed off and bitter about it. It was full to the brim with sourdough rolls, baked goods, tortillas, and croissants. I spent two days making calls and looking online and realizing that new chest freezers cost a whole lotta money. I'm still in the process of making that back room an actual kitchen and so convinced myself to look at this as an opportunity to make the room more efficient and let the room take some shape. I found a gargantuan chest freezer from Sears (25 cubic ft) that even came with all kinds of gadgety dividers and hanging baskets and it's large enough to accomodate all the goodies from both freezers in that room....which means that I'll discard the broken one and get rid of the upright that might be, like, thirty years old, makes funny noises and was bound to die any day now anyway. I'm actually giving it to the previous owner who now has her pizza/bar across the street. It can die for her now. Make us even.

The freezer was delivered before anything fully thawed and several times a day, like a kid on Christmas, I point my friends/patrons to the back room and say "Hey, go take a look at my new freezer!!"

Everyone responds the same way. Maybe it's that we live in the cloudiest, sometimes gloomiest county in the state, maybe it's the public water system or maybe it's just the Johnson crowd in general but what I've heard again and again is, "Wow man, you can fit, like, three dead bodies in that thing."

1 comment:

Elly said...

Haha, that's excellent. With all this cloudiness and snow and rain and ice, the mind roams a bit more, I think.